Saturday, April 5, 2008

Hunter Ray Gibbs

Okay, I am extremely slow at getting these pictures on here, and I have more on my camera that I need to download. But he is here and we love him sooooooo much! Hunter Ray Gibbs was born on March 29, 2008 at 1:17 am. He was 9 lbs 2 oz and 21" long. It was a long weekend. We got to the hospital at 7:15 am on Friday to be induced. They started my induction at about 8:30 am. I got my 1st epidural at 11:50 am, and I was much happier. They broke my water around 2 pm. Then my epidural started to wear off and I was in extreme pain. After one adjustment of the placement of my epidural and a few boluses of medication, they pulled it out and put in another one between 7-8 pm; I felt tons better. After not eating hardly anything for breakfast and living on ice chips and popsicles for about 11 hours, I got really sick and threw up when my 1st epidural wore off. After patiently waiting to dilate, I finally delivered at 1:17 am the next morning, but I only had to push for about a 1/2 hour.

When Hunter was born, he wasn't breathing, so the Dr. cut the cord and quickly handed him over to the NICU nurse. He had respiratory distress due to 4+ meconium and a long and stressful delivery. He was posterior, so they used the vacuum on him to rotate him and get him out. After about a minute of suctioning, stimulating and giving him breaths, he started to cry and pink up. That was the longest minute of our whole lives. After they got him cleaned up, I held him for about 20 seconds and then he was taken to the NICU with dad by his side. He was on oxygen for about 5 hours and then went to room air. But, then he had low blood sugars, so they started an IV and gave him IV fluid w/dextrose. By 11:00 am on Sunday morning, he was discharged from the NICU and was able to come up to our room with us. That was the best thing in the whole world!!! We all went home together on Monday morning and we are all doing well!!! He is just the cutest little boy and he brings so much joy and happiness into our lives!!!!

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations guys! We are so excited for you, he looks so cute in all of the pictures. I can't believe all of that hair, and those chubby cheeks. We can't wait to meet him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad he is okay. We want to come see him one day. It was fun to look at all the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How scary! I'm so glad everyone is doing o.k. Are you a little (lot) sore? Hope he's sleeping for ya so you can rest up. CONGRATS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mindi, I am so excited for you! I am glad he is doing good. My mom said she saw you and he was DANG cute!!! We miss you at work! I know you don't miss work but enjoy your time off!! Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats guys! I can't believe all the dark hair! What a cutie! Can't wait to meet him! Good work on the slide show Mindi!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't childbirth ridiculous?! Good thing we get a baby out of it. He is beautiful and you look amazing too. Good work! ;)

    ReplyDelete